Why Study Abroad In South Korea

South Korea is a fascinating country that offers a number of opportunities for students wishing to explore different aspects of life. With it’s rich history, vibrant culture, and impressive natural attractions. If you’re interested, here’s why you should consider studying in South Korea.

The South Korean System of Education

In South Korea, the educational system when it comes to higher institutions is primarily divided into

  • National Research Universities
  • Industrial Universities
  • Teacher-Training Universities
  • Cyber Colleges
  • Technical Colleges

The South Korean higher education system is patterned after the United States of America with colleges (which are called junior colleges and community colleges) that awards apprenticeships, citations, certificates, licenses, and diplomas while the universities award Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree, Professional and Doctoral degrees.

South Korean students are often in fierce competition for the coveted place in the country’s most prestigious universities. Many of these universities are key national universities that offer Bachelor’s, Master’s, Professional and doctoral degrees.

The three most famous universities in South Korea often abbreviated as SKY and are Seoul National University, Korea University, and Yonsei University. Other universities in South Korea include Soyang University, Sungkyukwan University, Pohang University of Science and Technology, and the research-intensive Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology.

Different from the normal grade point averages and percentages used in countries like the United States and Canada as the yardstick for eligibility, admission into South Korean universities is largely based on the scores that students achieve during their CSAT(College Scholastic Ability Test), which will account for 60 percent of the admission criteria while the remaining 40 percent is dependent on grades from comprehensive high school records.

The schools/Courses You Can Study In South Korea

South Korean universities offer different courses to students. There are also various universities where you can take these courses.

I’ll help you with some universities and also courses you can study in South Korea. So be rest assured and carry on reading.

Universities in South Korea offer courses like 

  • Game Engineering
  • Cosmetic Engineering
  • Interior Design
  • Information & Communication
  • Music
  • Accounting
  • Robot System Engineering
  • Biomedical Engineering
  • Fashion and Jewel Design
  • Medicine
  • Architecture
  • Law
  • Business and a whole lot more

Universities or Colleges where you can study in South Korea include

  • Hanyang University
  • Tongmyong University
  • Daegu Haany University
  • Gwangju University
  • Open Cyber University of Korea
  • Konkuk University
  • Institute of Finance and Economics
  • Gemgang University
  • Busan University of Foreign Studies
  • Pai Chai University

Opportunities Available In South Korea

In South Korea, foreigners are not only just being welcomed to the job market but also to improve foreign relationships. Asides from teaching English to foreigners other sectors where you will find a lot of opportunities include; IT, Manufacturing, Health, Science, Research and Technology, and even Office Administration Jobs.

You can also be self-employed in South Korea. Most especially in the area of Information Technology. Popular self-employment  jobs include;

  • Web Developer
  • UX Designer
  • Graphic Designer
  • Content Writer

Famous People Who Studied In South Korea

  • Kim Yuna – Yuna Kim is a former competitive South Korean skater. She is the 2010 Olympic champion and 2014 silver medalist. She graduated from the Korean University with a degree in Sports Education.
  • Lee Myung-bak – Lee Myung-bak is a South Korean former politician and businessman who served as President of South Korea from 2008-2013. Lee attended Dongji Commercial High School in Pohang and subsequently received a scholarship.
  • Hee-seop Choi – Hee-seop Choi is a South Korean former professional baseball player. He played in Major League Baseball(MLB) for the Chicago Cubs, Florida Marlins, and Los Angeles Dodgers. He attended Gwangju Jeil High School and Korea University.